If you have one of those small counter top grills, they’re perfect for grilling and melting the cheese in a quesadilla. It keeps the pita crisp, easy to cut, dip and handle.
- 6-8 pitas (the thick fluffy kind)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup ground turkey
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 large avocado, diced
- 6-8 button mushrooms sliced vertically
- 1/2 red pepper pepper, diced
- 1 pkg fajita or taco sauce
- (optional) sour cream or salsa
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Add oil. Cook the ground turkey until browned
- Add onion, mushrooms and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes. Mix fajita/taco sauce in.
- Heat grill. Distribute turkey-veggie mix among all the pitas. Distribute cheese and avocado to each pita. (For best results, put a bit of cheese before adding the meat, and top off with cheese so that it melts together and keeps the insides stuck together better).
- Fold in half, then place in grill. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Check every couple minutes and remove once the sides are browned a bit.
- For spicier quesadillas, mix some hot sauce and red pepper flakes into the cooking turkey
- Cut pitas in half and serve with sour cream/salsa