Ingredients for Simple Pie Crust
1 ¼ cup white flour
¼ tsp salt
½ cup cold shortening
3 tbsp ice water
- Whisk flour and salt in large bowl. Add shortening, cut up and mix in with the flour to make the mixture crumbly.
- Drip the water over and mix with fork to form dough.
- Gather in a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes,
- Roll out dough and press into pie pan to form crust.
Ingredients For Filling:
1 pumpkin (any variety) OR butternut squash
1 ¼ cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp oil
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground allspice
- Cut the pumpkin/ squash into small pieces (about 16). Remove seeds and stringy insides. Boil in water on high in large saucepan until soft.
- Allow to cool, then remove skin. Mash up in bowl. Add all the filling ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the oven. Pie is usually finished when the surface is darkened.